Community Hours 26th May 2022: Deep-dive into Entity Storage

We're excited to announce our fourth "Community Hours" session and bring the opportunity for you to learn from the experts and connect with the fellow members in the Freshworks developer community.

Topic:

Deep-dive into Entity Storage

Speakers:

Harish Janjam - Product Manager at Freshworks (Follow Harish)
Kaustav Das Modak - Lead Developer Advocate at Freshworks (Follow Kaustav)

Recording:

When:

26th May 2022
5:30 pm IST (India)| 2:00 pm CET| 1:00 pm GMT (London)
Check your time zone

About the session:

What is Entity Storage, when and how to use it, and the roadmap ahead

• Introduction to Entity Storage
  • Comparison with other data storage features available for Freshworks apps
  • Hands-on: Learn how to use Entity Storage by building a simple todo app
  • Roadmap for Entity Storage
  • Q&A

What’s in it for you?

The Entity Storage (Custom Objects) data storage feature recently went GA for apps built for Freshdesk and Freshservice, with support for more products in the pipeline.

Entity Storage allows developers to store schema-based structured data in their apps and query data based on field values. This allows developers to model complex business objects directly in their apps, without needing an external database in most cases.

In this session, we aim to introduce developers to the Entity Storage feature, discuss scenarios where Entity Storage can be useful, and give a hands-on demo of what building an app with Entity Storage looks like. Plus, we will discuss the feature’s roadmap and hear any feedback that you have to share with us.

Q&A Transcript:

Q: Can I migrate existing data that I have outside to my app in F.W ?
A: Migration is certainly possible, but not necessarily straightforward with the available capabilities. For example, you may have to implement the migration as part of the app itself, setup via the onAppInstall handler. If there is a lot of data, you will want to spread them across app invocations using a scheduled event.

Q: Is there a sort feature when querying?
A: Sorting isn’t available at this time out of the box.

Q: Is there rate limit on CRUD operations?
A: Yes, 50 operations per minute per app. More on rate limit and other limitations to be covered on the session.

Q: How is these entity objects different from JPA/Hibernate entity annotations and libraries?JPA/Hibernate offer enitity creation using the existing model definitions along with entity associations?
A: From an experience perspective, the aspiration is to be similar to popular ORMs and entity interfaces developers are accustomed to. The important distinction of course is that you don’t have to host or manage or scale an actual database behind this. Freshworks manages the entity store for your app while letting you focus on the implementation of the business logic.

Q: Can we use nested sections or just one level?
A: Nested sections are supported up to 2 levels.

Q: Do you plan to increase the storage size from 100kb?
A: Thanks for bringing this up. We have heard this feedback from multiple developers and plan to address this soon.

Q: How many records can be set in “enum” type?
A: By records if you mean the number of choices that can be associated with a field of type “enum”, there are no limits today. Do you have a use-case that might need a large number of enum values? If yes, we would love to learn about this!

Q: Is it possible to filter date or datetime using greater than, less than, etc… operators?
A: Not yet. Today we only have support for datetime with exact values. But, yes, date range queries can be very useful.

Q: Will the data be available to Freshdesk analytics?
A: No, currently, this Entity records will not be available in Freshdesk Analytics.

You can also have your question ready beforehand, as we have a live Q&A during the session, where our fantastic DevExperts will be answering all of your questions.

Can’t make it? The recording will be available in case you missed the live event.
Looking forward to seeing you at the next event!

2 Likes

Did you register for our next ‘Community Hours’ session on Entity Storage yet? We’re going live this Thursday, 26th May 2022 and we will do a deep dive on Entity Storage, discuss some use cases, and give a hands-on demo of building an app with Entity Storage.

REGISTER NOW

26th May 2022
5:30 pm IST (India)| 2:00 pm CET| 1:00 pm GMT (London)
Check your time zone

Speakers:

Harish Janjam - Product Manager at Freshworks (Follow Harish)
Kaustav Das Modak - Lead Developer Advocate at Freshworks (Follow Kaustav)

I am so bummed I wasn’t able to attend this today! I am sure it was super informative. Hopefully it was recorded, would like a chance to hear all about Entity Storage!

3 Likes

Hello @Zach, yes we have recorded the session and I will update the post with the recording. Thanks for showing interest. We will notify you once the recording is available!

2 Likes

Hello @Zach, Entity Storage session recording and q&a transcript are now available here: Community Hours 26th May 2022: Deep-dive into Entity Storage - Connect - Freshworks Developer Community

To access all the past events, click here: Freshworks Developer Community

2 Likes

We realize this time is a little challenging for folks in the western hemisphere @Zach
We are considering moving the session by an hour or so to make it more comfortable for more of the community to join us. Do let us know if that helps!

4 Likes

Hi @satwik 8am EST is not too bad for me, 9am does work better but I know that makes it later for you all who host it. So don’t let that be the deciding factor lol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, @Tanmay_Kapoor did post a poll here @Zach . Do chime in with your vote as well!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.