FDK not published in registry

Hi guys, I totally appreciate the effort to provide a cli tool. While following the installation guide once more - some things that I immediately noticed.

a) With npm install https://dl.freshdev.io/cli/fdk-6.5.2.tgz -g I will not install the latest version, asks for update immediately
b) With the -g global flag I must install this app globally or it doesn’t work?
c) Your package is not officially released in the npm registry?

The last point C would also definitely solve point A. For example npm install @freshworks/fdk.

So, here is the question, why is the freshdesk cli not officially published and available through the npm registry, just like any other node package?

Hi @juliankleine,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide a valuable feedback. We really appreciate it. :smiley:

a) With the frequent releases, we are trying to keep the documentation up to date. But, it always ends up lagging with respect to the FDK releases so there’s the latest version to FDK available to update after a fresh installation.

b) The global flag (-g) is required to run FDK from any directory. Without it, it will work similarly to NPM packages to install in the current directory and the FDK command will not be available in other directories.

c) It is in our roadmap. It is just not prioritized due to some changes in our infrastructure and efforts. As you mentioned, it will solve the issue of Point A as well.

We will take up your feedback and pass on with the relevant team to prioritize these changes to make the installation easier.

1 Like

Thanks @Raviraj for the insight.

Just as a quick note to b) - It would really be a good idea to not be in need of a globally installed fdk. Indeed I would love to install it only as dev dependency and not expect the developer to have his global system set up, rather box it all together. Are there technical requirements for the fdk cli to be globally installed?

Just so I understand correctly from a) - It is possible to install the latest fdk?
How would the command look like to directly install the latest version of the fdk?
With a package registry (npm or a custom/private one) it would be the tag @latest

npm install https://dl.freshdev.io/cli/fdk-latest.tgz -g
1 Like

@juliankleine
For a) - Currently, we do not have a way to install the FDK with the latest flag. We will resolve this soon. Please watch out our announcements here in the developer forum and the What’s new section of the developer documentation.

For b) - The FDK will work from any folder. It need not be installed globally to work. If FDK is not added globally, the path for the source directory has to be added to the PATH variable to run the FDK from anywhere. :slight_smile:

Hi again @juliankleine,

I’m glad to inform that we have incorporated your feedback and introduced the URL to always install the latest FDK. Listing FDK in NPM is still on our roadmap. Keep an eye on our announcements to get any updates regarding the same.

The following URL is used to install the latest version of FDK and it is also added to our documentation.
npm install https://dl.freshdev.io/cli/fdk.tgz -g

3 Likes