Getting Asset Item properties 'Used By' / 'Company' via API, impossible?

So I work in a school, I am trying to make a powershell script to pester students/staff who’s loan laptops are not connecting to the domain and getting updates etc properly to prevent anything from slipping out of complaince too much.

I am doing this by seeing last time it connected to AD, that will give me a laptop number, but it doesn’t give me the user who is associated to it. My idea was to get the computer number then use the freshservice API to get the user or ‘used by’ data from the asset system on fresh service - I can SEE that data in the gui, but I have been over the docs for the api and unless I am being super blind I am missing how I can get that via the API, is it just not available via the API or am I messing something up?

Before making the whole script, I am just getting data from the API and I have that working fine, I can get requesters or locations or whatever like that, I just don’t know what I can do to give it the asset name ( in our case, the computer number ) and get the ‘used by’ and ideally ‘company’ too.

I am 100% a noob to using api’s in general and am only marginally more experienced with powershell so if this is super obvs, please forgive me,

Thanks

Charles

Hi @CharlesG,

Have you tried the Filter Assets endpoint ? You can filter using serial number, user id and created date. Though I don’t see any “used by” field in the documentation.

I am not sure if your whole workflow can be solved using a single API call today. You may need to chain a few calls together in your script to get the desired output.

Hi Kaustav, Thanks for the reply.

I have had a play with that, but I don’t think its going to do what I need to do - what I can get from my AD is the laptop number, this is stored in the asset system as the Asset tag, which is fine, so I can get the asset information up, but that really only shows a small subset of the info that freshservice has saved - I don’t really have the ability to store the serial number in AD, and even if I could, it would still bring me back to the same set of data that doesn’t contain the user who the asset is assigned to, which is what I am trying to find ( from either the asset tag or the serial number ).

Thanks

Charles