Freshworks App Showcase Series - App #1: Recurring Tickets for Freshdesk

Apps Supercharged by Freddy Copilot for Developers: Follow the Showcase Series!

Are you ready to dive into a world of futuristic innovation and creativity?

We are thrilled to announce our brand-new series which is focused on celebrating the brilliant developers of our developer community and their creations: Shining a Spotlight on the Gen AI-Powered Apps!

What’s in Store?

Over the coming weeks, we will be putting the spotlight on some of the incredible apps built by our talented developers using Freddy Copilot for Developers, our Gen AI-powered development tool. Each post in this series will feature:

• App Highlights
  • Tech Stack
  • Developer Insights
  • Use case and a solution
  • Developer Connect

Introducing the First App in Our Showcase Series

Introducing Recurring Tickets for Freshdesk - A Showcase of Gen AI-Powered Development!

Meet Arun Rajkumar, the mastermind behind this innovative creation.

Connect with Arun: Click here

Recurring Tickets app on Freshworks Marketplace: Click here

:pushpin: “Freddy Copilot understands that the app is being built in the context of the Freshworks Marketplace. That is a huge relief as I do not need to give it that info each time. Secondly, when asked specific questions about Marketplace’s features, it understands and provides up-to-date information about the app platform. Thirdly, the contextual Chat is a huge advancement to the capabilities as it takes a few iterations to refine the query”.

:nerd_face: Arun Rajkumar, Developer

Let’s listen to the developer as they share their experience and insights:

1. App Development Outcome:

• What was the primary goal or outcome you aimed to achieve by using Freddy Copilot for Developers for your app development?
  • How has it contributed to the overall development process and the quality of your app?

Freddy Copilot for Developers is now an indispensable part of my app development toolkit. It has reduced my dependence on Google for different categories of queries for example:

• Web technology related: What is the syntax of a reduce function in Javascript?
  • Freshworks Marketplace Platform: What are the names of the app locations for Freshdesk?
  • Freshworks API Documentation: Give me the mandatory parameters for creating a Freshdesk ticket, the possible values for priority in a ticket, etc.

This saves me a significant amount of time and allows me to focus on building my app’s functionality. Secondly, Freddy Copilot for Developers is great at generating code for my specific requirements. With targeted prompts, it was able to provide me with almost production-ready code.

2) Tell us about the recurring tickets app:

• Share details about the app created using Freddy Copilot for Developers
  • What is the app’s intended functionality and purpose?

The Recurring Tickets app allows you to create daily/weekly/monthly schedules for creating tickets in Freshdesk. It allows you to configure multiple actions to execute when it is time for the schedule to run. For example, you could have a schedule that runs daily that creates a ticket in Freshdesk and triggers a webhook to send a message on a Slack channel with the details of the ticket that has been created.

One of the complex use cases that your Gen AI development tool helped me solve in the Recurring Tickets app was the calculation of the next date. The logic had to take into account several parameters like frequency, days of the week/month and ending date. It did a phenomenal job of providing me with a code structure that I could use to improvise upon.

3) Tools and Technologies Used:

• Which programming languages, frameworks, and platforms did you integrate with Freddy Copilot for Developers during your app development?
  • Were there any specific tools or resources that you found particularly helpful when working alongside our Gen AI tool?

Frontend: EmberJS
Backend: NodeJS using TypeScript
Test Cases: Mocha using TypeScript

Freddy Copilot for Developers was able to detect and provide accurate responses for all the above. The Freshworks Marketplace App developer documentation, sample apps and tutorials were some of the helpful resources to have by the side.

4) Problem Solved:

• How did your app address the problem or pain point you initially identified? How does Freddy Copilot for Developers contribute to finding solutions?

The process of identifying the pain points and addressing them was done without the help of Freddy Copilot for Developers. However, it was extremely helpful during the implementation phase. Would love to explore using Freddy Copilot for Developers in every step of the lifecycle of an app right from conception.

I came across several requests from customers requesting a feature to create recurring tickets on the Freshworks Community portal, The Freshworks Community | Freshworks Community. There were at least 6 threads where customers described their pain points, while others offered various solutions. Going through all of the responses gave me a sense of what the customers were looking for.

It was clear that an app that could simply create tickets on a recurring basis would solve the problem. I made a list of requirements that looked something like this:

1. The app needs to create tickets on a recurring basis.
  2. The frequency of recurrence needs to be daily, weekly, or monthly.
  3. The app needs to provide a configuration to stop the recurrence on a particular date or after a certain number of occurrences.
  4. The app needs to allow the creation of multiple recurring schedules.
  5. The app needs to allow the user to configure the ticket fields.

Once the requirements were clear, it was all about designing the app’s user interface and coming up with a system design that could handle the creation of an unlimited number of schedules.

And then, in a matter of a few weeks, the Recurring Tickets app was born!

It was built not just to meet the expectations of customers, but to exceed it. The Recurring Tickets app can not only create tickets in a recurring schedule, but also perform several actions, like sending a message on a Slack channel with the newly created ticket’s URL, or simply make a HTTP request to an external webhook.

It gives me great joy to publish this app on the Freshworks Marketplace and I can’t wait to see the incredible ways in which customers will make use of it.

5) Time and Effort Reduction:

• Please share your observations on the amount of time and effort saved during the development process.
  • Were there specific tasks, coding challenges, or iterations where Freddy Copilot for Developers made a significant impact?

What used to take weeks to build has been reduced to days. For example, the Recurring Tickets app took 5 days to build while the AI Smart Assist app took about 4 weeks.

Freddy Copilot understands that the app is being built in the context of the Freshworks Marketplace. That is a huge relief as I do not need to give it that info each time. Secondly, it understands and provides up-to-date information about the app platform when asked specific questions about Marketplace’s features. Thirdly, the contextual Chat is a huge advancement to the capabilities as it takes a few iterations to refine the query.

6) Lessons Learned:

• Based on your experience, are there any best practices, tips, or recommendations you would share with others using Freddy Copilot for Developers for app development?

I can’t overstate the importance of using Freddy Copilot for Developers during the entire app development lifecycle.

I would classify them in 3 buckets:

1. Research (used as a replacement of having to use Google)
  • Learn/understand programming language syntax. It’s not always that you remember every built-in method name in Javascript.
  • Get information on Freshworks’ APIs instantly.
  • Get information on Marketplace APIs for Frontend, Server-side and services like db, scheduler, etc.
  1. App Development
  • Generate code to perform a specific functionality.
  • Optimize code for better performance and clarity.
  • Identify edge cases in a function that has not been handled.
  • Write automation tests.
  1. Marketing
  • Brainstorm app name ideas
  • Generate compelling app overview and description
  • Generate translations

7) Future Considerations:

• Would you consider using Freddy Copilot for Developers in future app development projects? Why or why not?

Given the immense benefit it has provided me, I’d look rather silly not to use Freddy Copilot for Developers.

8) Additional Comments:

• Is there anything else you would like to share about your Freddy Copilot experience, the app you developed, or insights gained?

Honestly, it’s more than I could’ve asked for. But, after having attended the Community Hours sessions you’ve made me greedier for more capabilities like converting the design to code, generating an app zip file with all the functionality required using just a prompt, and so much more.

Freshworks App Showcase Series:

App #2: Canny Integration for Freshdesk
App #3: Stamped.io Loyalty and Referral Integration

🚀 Join the Freshworks Developer Community and connect with fellow experts: https://community.freshworks.dev/